Born in the 60's, but definitely a child of the 70 & 80's, I am a forty-something mother of grown children, and wife to a god fearing, honest, kind and genuine man. This is my life and some of the experiences, lessons,trials,joys and triumphs from my life. Join me as I observe life as we know it in the Milam household.
Under the Rainbow
observing life from the safety here
Thursday, September 15, 2011
Wicked Windy Wednesday
Soo....I spent my morning chatting with Chelsea on Skype. We talked about a variety of things: brownies, movies, guys, hairlines, Emma (0f course) and just spent time looking at each other and bonding. I can't imagine how service men and women have been able to handle deployment without modern technology. I have tried to wrap my head around it, visualize some newly married war bride, waiting patiently every day for the mailman. In the WWII days mail from abroad could take 2-3 weeks. The only way they could possibly be able to tolerate it or control their angst and reduce fears was by depending on family and friends. I myself have done just that, in addition to utilizing the modern technologies of the computer age, my facebook is up 24/7, my laptop STAYS connected to Skype, and I sleep with the ringer on my phone. Granted I have turned off most of my notifications and my locations service is completely off before my head hits the pillow. But I am connected and waiting to hear from her at any moment!
My television viewing has changed as well. I no longer watch the news, my news aps are still on my phone, but they are deactivated. We never did start a newspaper subscription so I don't have to worry about seeing any war news headlines. The last thing I need is to hear about bad things happening over there and not knowing if she is safe. The worrying is bad enough without the outside influences. I will admit, I like the old stuff. There is a new channel here in Ohio called METv, they have all the cool ones, from Petticoat Junction to the Untouchables. Most days you will catch me watching Mary Tyler Moore or The Waltons. I have no need for "reality tv" anymore. It's all fake and absolutely rediculous and I need to veg in front of the tv not think too much about it.
Since it was a pretty, sunny, cool and windy day, Emma and I headed out for number one of our two long walks. Emma was attached to her harness and me with a lightweight jacket on and off we went. I like our walks. They are cleansing for me. Honestly, it's the only time when nobody bothers me. I can clear my mind and calm my nerves. Most days, we take the beginning of the walk at a slower pace. This allows time for Emma to do her business. After the business end of the walk is done, it is ON! We bust a move! One of my walking tricks, and I have to have them, because I can't hear the cars when they are behind me and cannot enjoy the sounds of my favorite music playing via headphones, is to count my steps. I know! Sometimes I think I am crazy...does this make me "Rainwoman"?! It really is a good trick to clear your mind. Sometimes I walk and count ignoring every thing...the other dogs and their owners, the ducks and geese and even Emma, that is until I have my hand tugged behind me. Other days I leave with a purpose, looking for a certain number of things, or attempting to spell something with random letters in the community. I never much thought about it, I just did it. Today when we walked, I went searching for the word peace. I never found in spelled outright, that would be a super fantastic day! I bet I could find that one during the Christmas Holidays? Since I couldn't find it that way that meant I need to go on a letter hunt and I spelled 4 times on our walk. Searching for the letter in the proper order..seems the letter A was the hard one today. I carried my camera today and took pictures of them and the header collage was my best of the best. Send me out for more words....I will find them, even if I have to venture out of our home community.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment